Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Tomato, Tomahto, and Spotted Dick

Whit over at Honea Express is celebrating the joys of an English gastronomical adventure today; he's having some Spotted Dick that a friend sent him. Reading his post, seeing the kick he got out of what is to the Brits just your average tea time sweet took me back to the days when I had just returned to America from London. The dumbest turn of phrase then could bring down the house , and I used to be very proud of the fact that I spoke both American and English English. And that I knew the difference. Now? Not so much, I would think. Does one order a Milky Coffee at the Starbucks in England, or is it now just another Grande Drip with Room for Cream. And the cream--is it Top of the Milk or boring American style Half & Half? I guess not only the milk is homogenized these days, but the entire world as well. That makes me sad--sorta.

2 comments:

  1. That is sad, but come on, 'spotted dick' is funny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. whit: spotted dick IS funny...as are all the other Britishisms that somehow don't translate well. like--if I'm coming to pick you up in the morning, I'm gonna knock you up. but not with my spotted dick in hand.

    ReplyDelete

So--whaddaya think?