Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Gone--one well-crafted rant

I was mid-rant today on a topic of great interest to me--aging and ageism--when, poof! my post disappeared. This verily pissed me off since I had gone to great lengths to do links. In fact, it was a link that caused the loss (I'm on a roll of Ls here). I was searching my LJ archive for a post I thought was on it, only to find it wasn't. And when I finally accepted that, my well-crafted, albeit unfinished, rant was gone.

What to do what to do what to do????????????????? How about a little soft shoe? Or a few bars of My Yiddische Mama, a song that never fails to make me weep. Oh--you'd rather have something a bit lighter, appealing to a wider audience, a little more commercial?

How about my report on NaNoWriMo? Do I have anywhere near the 25K words I should if I'm to make the deadline? Have I posted anything I've written? Have I written anything? No, No, and yes.

Here's the deal--commitment I believe we were calling it in an earlier post--I made to myself about NaNoWriMo. I never intended to even try for the 50K word count. I know myself as a writer too well, and that kind of a goal is certain writer's block for me. Instead, I promised myself that I would work on my NaNoWriMo project every day. I would make no judgments about it--the quality of the work or it's potential or even whether I was interested. I would just keep on writing every day for thirty days and at the end of that time, then I'd see what I have.

This I have done. And a funny thing happened on the way to Day 15. Something is taking shape here. There's a story that I'm telling that I had no idea I wanted to tell about people I've never thought about before. It's wonderfully weird this feeling of sitting back and reading what happens next.

No comments:

Post a Comment

So--whaddaya think?