Sunday, November 18, 2007

How's About Some Cabbage & Apples?

It's Sunday and I'm in the kitchen with the Food Channel again. But yesterday I was there as well...and here's what I made
I'm calling it, in a streak of originality, Cabbage & Apple Side Dish. I made it to eat on it's own, but it would be terrific as a Thanksgiving dish. And it's cheap. And easy. And I made it up.

Here's what to do:
  1. Chop 1 purple onion (nice color, doncha think?) and a couple of cloves garlic and brown them in some oil (I used walnut, but olive would do as well). I got them quite brown, some were actually crispy, but you don't have to do that. You can just saute them till they're limp or golden or however you like your onion/garlic mixture.
  2. Add 2-3 T of butter (sweet, please, is there any other kind to cook with? d'oh?)
  3. Cut up half a cabbage into chunks or slivers or however you want to slice 'em. Add to skillet (I did tell you to do this in a large skillet or dutch oven, didn't I). You can use any kind of cabbage. Mine was the frilly kind because--it just was.
  4. Peel, core and slice a tart apple and mix it in with the whole thing. Do some salt and peppering, if you like. Cover the pot and stir occasionally. Oh, did I mention this should be on a medium fire?
  5. Cook until the cabbage and the apples are limp. Serve. Eat.
  6. This is an expandable recipe. Just add more of everything to feed more people. Mine provided a side dish for four (me and three more of me.).

3 comments:

  1. "Mine provided a side dish for four (me and three more of me.)."

    Bwahahah! Love that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I've been on a cooking/baking spree lately, so maybe I'll try this one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ratphooey: the honest truth, m'am

    velma: it is good...

    ReplyDelete

So--whaddaya think?