Monday, February 02, 2009

Day Somethingorother of Jane's Wondrous Training Sessions

Thus far, I have had two training sessions. The first, when I completed the now-famous 18 minute mile, was a week ago. The second was this past Saturday. T'was a three miler. THREE MILES?! WTF!!!!

Here's the awful truth I'm learning about myself: I'm a quitter. When the going gets tough, I'm like out the door licketysplit. In my current [woeful] condition, that happens at about the 10 yard line. Or maybe, the twenty--I never have been good at judging distances. I hit this wall--you've heard of The Wall you hit when you're doing endurance stuff? Well, the wall I hit says, "Waaah, no way...this is hard....I can't...oh woe...." The first week, when it was Just A Mile (!), there were lots of cheerleaders along the route with signs and thumbs up and, jeeze, I couldn't cop out in front of all of them, could I? On Saturday, however, it was just me. Me and the dust kicked up by the herd of my fellow runner/walkers who were way, way, way way way ahead of me. I thought about taking a short cut--who would know?--but I didn't. I didn't because it seems grotesque, not to mention shameful, because, really, who was I cheating but myself? I guess I must have an iota of character left.

When I got home, I checked the training schedule. Oh. We were supposed to be doing these training sessions on our own during the week. Oh.

So today, I laced up my new running shoes (which look like U-boats, I'm afraid) and did another three miles. By myself. Yes, I did. Then I came home and died.....

3 comments:

  1. Jane,
    Keep up the good work. There's a photo of me in the Avon 3 Day on the home page of my blog right now. It was DAMN hard but when I finished I thought I could do anything. I did it for breast cancer patients, but I got so much out of it for myself. You go, girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:40 PM

    I'm impressed. My 7-mile walk to the airport filled my exercise quota for the month.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous2:52 PM

    Good for you! And ignore The Wall. The Wall can be a real bitch sometimes and I'm not at all convinced that it isn't put there by Gatorade in an attempt to drum up business. I'm so proud of you!

    ReplyDelete

So--whaddaya think?