Friday, October 10, 2008

Motherhood At MidLife

I'm not talking about mothering at midlife, raising the kids that you had when you were in your twenties or thirties. I'm talking about becoming a mother at midlife. According to Newsweek, the number of women over forty who have given birth has doubled in the past twenty years. Well, yes, of course, the advances in fertility treatments being what they are. Not to mention the blooming of Hollywood's maternal imagery machine (and, hello, isn't it cute how the fashion world has lately allowed all of us to wear what just several years ago were clearly maternity smocks).

However, motherhood at midlife happens in a number of ways, not the least of which is by adoption. It's a choice a number of couples make. Even more, it's a choice a growing number of single midlife women are making. In fact, I must confess that every once in a while, I check out the on-line adoption sites. Just testing the waters so to speak.

Thus, when I came across Liz who is chronicling her trip to adoption on her blog, Inventing My Life, I was intrigued. I asked her if she'd be willing to allow MidLifeBloggers.com to come along for the ride, and she agreed. Today we're publishing the first in the series of her posts. Right now there are seven in the series, but she's not even halfway through the process. I can't wait to find out how it goes for her.

No comments:

Post a Comment

So--whaddaya think?