Friday, May 08, 2009

Hey You, over there on the other Coast....

You are sound asleep in your little bed. I, on the other hand, am up after eating about 500 calories of cake. I couldn't bear to be home after I got off the phone with you last night. So I went to the regular Friday night wine tasting at Raley's. This is the equivalent of a wine tasting at Giant Eagle. $3 gets you a glass and an endless pour of four or five pretty rough wines which you can enjoy with the other connoisseurs. And cheese. Sliced. And crackers. And cut up fruit. And some salami. All of this takes place right by the bakery section so it was a foregone conclusion that I would fork over another 2.99 for a square of white layer cake with white frosting and sprinkles. I didn't intend to eat the whole thing--but somehow it just happened.

This is what is known as dealing with emotional issues by eating.

Right after my mother died, I would stand in the kitchen and eat ice cream out of a 1/2 gallon container. Just me and the ice cream and the spoon. Or I'd toast marshmallows on a fork over the kitchen stove. And eat them slowly while I read a book. Then go back and roast some more. It really interrupted the reading, but I couldn't figure out how to make the toasting be less intrusive. I did contemplate a candle, but figured it would take too long.

This is a blog post. Before we reconnected, I would put this on ByJane. So I think I'll do that now too. Why waste the words on someone who is ASLEEEEEEEP!!!!

4 comments:

  1. It's hard to eat without interrupting one's reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nah, that I've mastered. It was the toasting marshmallows that tripped me up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made a S'more for my granddaughter on the kitchen stove. Caught the marshmallow on fire, though.
    Pretty exciting night.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry I was sleeping when you were stuffing food in your mouth, but hey! you're never up when I'm drinking coffee and contemplating my navel.

    ReplyDelete

So--whaddaya think?