Thursday, April 16, 2009

Mold--BeGone!

I am always willing to humiliate myself in order to bring you another new cleaning thingee. I am, if nothing else, a collector of cleaning thingees. Utensils, swabs, potions--whatever, I'm always up for trying them in my neverending search for the cleaning thingee that requires as little help from me as possible. The humiliation part comes in because I am scrupulous about showing you before pictures. And from them you can see how unscrupulous I am about cleaning. I've written about this before. It is what it is. Amen and whatever.

My latest cleaning thingee that promises nirvana is X-14 Mold & Mildew Stain Remover. When MomCentral sent out a call for people willing to try it, I raised my hand and waved it in their faces (virtually, that is). Several weeks later, some nice man delivered a box to my door and inside was said X-14. What particularly attracted me were the works Works WITHOUT Scrubbing. Well, glory be and praise the lord if that is so.

If I still lived in LA, I would have emptied the bottle in no time, such was the mold and mildew with which I suffered. But here in Elk Grove, the air is just a tad drier--and the house is like 80 years newer--so the mold situation isn't that awful. But it still, my cleaning proclivities being what they are, exists.
This is exhibit A, a corner of my shower stall, in all its glorious moldiness.

And this is exhibit B: The same corner, post application of X-14 Mold & Mildew Stain Remover.
I'm not sure what accounts for the difference in color--lighting, maybe--but I can assure you that all I did was spray and rinse. My lily white hands didn't have to do anything more strenuous than squeeze the nozzle on the bottle. It truly does Work WITHOUT Scrubbing!

Next I'm going to take it out in the back yard where my redwood furniture is quite sad and in need of not only de-molding and mildewing, but painting as well. According to the instructions, X-14 Mold & Mildew Stain Remover is "excellent" as a deck wash or painting prep cleaner. Its magic ingredient is "sodium hypochlorite at a level generally 60 percent higher than similar products on the market...(and it's) activated by pH adjustments.

Whatever that may mean.

6 comments:

  1. "Sodium hypochlorite solution, commonly known as bleach..."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew someone smart would know. I'm waiting for someone very green to tell me that this solution is a killer. But still, it works without scrubbing (or wiping, even)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm all for products that don't require my participation. Not much mold here in Arizona, but if we move from here, I'll have to keep this product in mind...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jennifer H: I'm always amazed at our similar sensibilities--and sensibleness.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jane you've accomplished the impossible---you wrote an entire post about a cleaning product and held my attention through the whole thing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Quite a compliment, Darryle.

    ReplyDelete

So--whaddaya think?